This is at the request of Ssparks
Silver Shred Rolls
130g HK Flour
70g water (tap water is fine)
1 tsp Instant Yeast
Mix all ingredients well in a bowl. Leave it in a container (like a Tupperware box or a disposal 'takeaway' plastic box). Cover box and leave aside to prove for 2 hours.
150g HK flour
25g Water (tap water is fne)
1/2 tsp Double-acting baking powder
Mix starter dough with the main dough ingredients in a bowl. Knead till a smooth and shiny dough is formed.
1) Form dough into 25g balls.
2) Roll dough into a longish shape
3) Fold both ends toward the centre
4) Turn 90 degrees
5) Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 for three more times (total 4 times)
6) Roll into a longish shape and make some line cuts along the dough leaving about 5mm border at the top and bottom edge.
7) Brush some oil on the surface. Twist both ends in the opposite directions.
9) Tuck one end under the other end and place on a piece of greaseproof paper.
10) Let it prove for a further 30 mins before steaming over high heat for 10 mins.
11) The finished product.
1) Mantous are not meant to be as fluffy like the char siew buns. The repeated rolling and folding is to ensure a denser texture.
2) For variation, the steamed mantous can be deep-fried in hot oil till just golden brown.