Monday, November 13, 2006
Xiao Long Bao
This is specially for Lance, Sspaks, Anonymous1, Anonymous2. My apologies for taking so long to post this.
Xiao Long Bao (Soupy Dumplings)
Recipe reproduced with the kind permission of LeeLee.
Ingredients for the Fillings
250g minced pork
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp chicken stock granules
1 tsp light soya sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp potato starch
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
2 tbsp water
27gm gelatin powder
450gm water or chicken stock
1) Bloom gelatin in water/chicken stock. Heat gently till gelatin is dissolved.
2) Chill in fridge.
3) Dice set jelly into small cubes.
4) Mix minced meat with the seasoning ingredients.
5) Mix in the diced gelatin and leave filling ingredients in fridge for later use.
Ingredients for the Wrapper:
150gm plain flour
20gm potato starch
85-90gm water (original 115gm)
1) Mix all ingredients till combined.
2) Leave aside to rest for 10-15minutes.
3) Pinch off small pieces of dough, flatten with rolling pin and wrapped with the fillings.
4) Place the wrapped dumplings on a small square of lightly oiled greaseproof paper. Alternatively, you can place the dumplings onto small cut-out rounds of iceberg lettuce.
5) Steam for about 5-6 minutes.
Wrapping the XLB
Mine are not the most beautiful of XLBs as I just gather up the dough and pleat them like a normal char siew bao. I have nontheless trawled the net for some illustrations and I found this XLB Tutorial. http://eatingchinese.org/xlbtutor/xlbtutor.html
This is the type of Potato Starch I used. It is commonly known as Windmill Flour here in Singapore and Hongkong.
Hope this will give you a better idea. Enjoy.