Wednesday, August 02, 2006
Thy Neighbor's Temptation
I had no intention to do any baking last night as I have a pile of clothes to be ironed and well,I was feeling a little bit tired.
As I was dragging the iron across DH business shirts, I could detect a sweet fragrance in the air as the breeze carried through the window, the familiar aroma of a cake being baked. I do not know which of my neighbor is at it again. A few whiffs and I felt like a drug addict on cold turkey! The temptation to bake a cake was too great and I can resist no more! I zip through the ironing and the instant the iron was switched off and the ironing board stowed away, I was already flipping through my cookbook to select a recipe. I finally settled on an Oreo Coffee Buttercake.
So at close to 9.45pm, I started to feed my addiction:
200g self-raising flour
170g sugar (original recipe was 200g)
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
1 tbsp hot water
½ tsp vanilla essence
7 Oreo cookies – chopped
3 Oreo cookies, additional – chopped (for topping)
1) Preheat oven to 175 deg C. Grease and line an 8” diameter tin.
2) Dissolve the instant coffee in hot water. (Note: I used ½ tbsp hot water and ½ tbsp Bailey Irish Cream instead). Set aside.
3) Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
4) Beat in the eggs, one at a time and beating well after each addition.
5) Stir in the dissolved coffee, vanilla essence and the chopped Oreos
6) Fold in the flour and pour into your prepared tin.
7) Sprinkle the additional Oreos on top and bake for 40-45mins or till cooked.
No more cold sweat and shaking hands. My addiction was satisfied!