This is for LingLing, who requested for the recipe
STEAMED PUMPKIN MEE SUA KUEH
(Recipe adapted from Y3K Magazine)
240g mee suah
300g pumpkin flesh (shredded/grated)
4-5 Chinese mushrooms (soaked & sliced)
50g hae bee (soaked)
5 shallots – sliced
5 garlics – minced
120g minced pork or chicken
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp chicken granules
2 tsp light soya sauce
1 red chilli, diced
1 stalk spring onions, diced
1) Place mee sua in a sieve or colander, rinse with water, drain and keep aside.
2) Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wok and sauté shallots till golden brown. Reserve for garnishing.
3) Fry minced garlics, mushrooms, hae bee, minced meat and pumpkin shreds.
4) In another clean wok, add in some water to boil and blanch mee sua till water is absorbed. Add in the fried ingredients and seasonings. Stir well and adjust to taste.
5) Press mee sua firmly into a greased 9” tray and steam for 35 minutes
6) Garnish with red chilies, spring onions and fried shallots.
Although original recipe calls for 700ml water, I suggest you use 500ml boiled water first and then adjust accordingly to prevent mee sua from turning too soft and mushy.
I use Maicar brand of mee sua which is not salty and the strands are thicker. Each pack is about 280g (slightly more than the original recipe). I use the whole packet without changing the amount of water.